Get a dinner with this super easy Caprese Baked Chicken Thighs recipe! The whole family will love this Italian inspired dish!
Why We Love Baked Chicken Caprese
- This caprese chicken is made or really simple ingredients but the flavors are out of this world good!
- I liked to use chicken thighs, but you could use breasts too! Whatever you have in the freeze or fridge or is on sale at the store is the right answer.
- Even picky eaters like this meal! Sweet, bursting cherry tomatoes are a dinner win. Add some cheese and chicken and watch everyone get into the clean plate club.
What is Caprese Chicken Made Of?
CHICKEN: I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this dish. They’re budget friendly and thighs have a nice juicy flavor. You could 100% swap out for bone-in thighs if they’re on sale.
MOZZARELLA: Keeping with classic caprese, you’ll need fresh mozzarella for this chicken. If you prefer to use shredded make sure it’s low-moisture mozzarella.
PRODUCE: You can’t have caprese without basil and tomatoes! We’re using cherry tomatoes because once they’ve baked with the chicken their little bursting bombs of flavor in your mouth. Oh and some garlic, because it’s an Italian dish and I need ALL the garlic.
SEASONINGS & SAUCES: To season the chicken we’re using Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Nothings fancy here friends. Then you’ll need some balsamic glaze to coat the chicken and drizzle on top.
How to Make Chicken CapreseJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Rub the chicken thighs with some olive oil. Sprinkle the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and rub the seasonings all over both sides.
STEP 2 Pour some olive oil into a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, sear the chicken thighs for 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
STEP 3 Pour the balsamic glaze into the skillet and stir the garlic into the sauce. Turn the chicken until it’s coated in the glaze. Then add the tomatoes around the chicken thighs. Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Step 4 Carefully take the skillet out of the oven and lay the mozzarella slices over the chicken. Bake for a few more minutes until the cheese has melted. Then drizzle some balsamic glaze over the top and garnish with halved tomatoes and fresh basil before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- List steps here that can help the inexperienced cook.
- make sure to preheat the oven while the pasta is cooking so you’re not waiting on it to get hot to bake the pasta
- Be sure to only cook the pasta to al dente. It will continue to cook in the oven when you bake. If you cook it more it will become mushy in the oven.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time by covering it with foil and freezing it before it goes in the oven. Just be sure to allow it to defrost overnight in the fridge before baking it.
Caprese Chicken Recipe FAQ
Why is caprese so good?
What’s not to love about mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes together?! The combination of fresh flavors and creamy cheese is the best! Drizzle that with some olive oil and/or balsamic glaze and you’re in business. Luckily these awesome flavors are just as tasty when served over chicken.
What to serve with chicken caprese
This chicken is great over pasta or served up with parmesan roasted broccoli and roasted potatoes. But when I want a lighter meal I’ll serve it up with a chopped salad or simple green salad with Italian dressing. It’s not a bad idea to have some Dutch oven bread slices on hand to dip into the extra sauce in the skillet either.
Other Recipes You May like
- Crock Pot Queso Chicken
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Copycat Penne San Remo
- Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells
Caprese Baked Chicken Thighs
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cut 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes in half and leave the rest whole. Set aside.
- Drizzle the chicken thighs with 1 tablespoons of oil and rub it all over. Then sprinkle the Italian seasoning and salt over both sides of the chicken. Rub the seasoning all over the thighs.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil and once hot, place the chicken thighs into the pan and sear for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the balsamic glaze and stir the garlic into the sauce. Turn the chicken thighs to coat them in the glaze and then add 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes to the skillet around the chicken. (see note)
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F internal temp).
- Carefully take the skillet out of the oven and top the chicken thighs with slices of mozzarella. Return the chicken to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Spoon the balsamic sauce from the pan over the chicken and then top everything with the halved tomatoes and basil. Serve warm.
- You can substitute low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese if you prefer.
- If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, transfer the chicken and sauce to a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish before adding the tomatoes. Then continue as directed.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.